By Cadence Alexia

8.6.12

Sengersbroek, Bonte Bentheimers, and ethical meat eating

Long time no post, bad blogger, I've been busy being a circus machine, thorry.

Don't worry though, I'm here now, and happy to have a spare half hour to finally get round to telling you about my favorite lady on the market, Her name is Teresa, she's a total joy, and she's from Sengersbroek farm! 

Some interesting books about meat!
On that cool little farm they raise Bonte Bentheimer pigs, I think they have around 60, maybe more, this type of pig is native to Holland. It's kinda rare to get them now, as more commercial and profitable pigs became available. Well, you probably know how I feel about commercial and profitable, I needn't say more, 'nuff respect, these guys are keeping it old school!

What I like about this farm, is that they're really nice to their pigs before they let you eat them, they let them roam around eating grass and having a happy time, she told me how she got sad when they have to send one up to piggy heaven. It is sad, but it's the natural order of things, and way more natural to eat a happy animal who's been having a pleasant time hanging with it's piggy friends before it's laying on your plate.

You can also go and stay at the farm, like a B and B, I'm sure you get really nice sausages for breakfast. 

The best ham on the market!!


I've met quite a few vegetarians during my time on Paleo who comment on my vast meat consumption, and say they're vegetarian because it's more ethical to live that way. Hhhmmmm, I'm not convinced, I respect their choice and all, but, I'm not sure cutting out meat does the job when it comes to being a more ethical eater, you have to do a lot more than that. Here is why.


I lived in a vegetarian house quite recently for a month, I had no idea it was a vegetarian house when I moved in, apparently they'd been told I was a raw food vegan so were happy for me to live there. Whooops! get with the times, raw food vegan was so 5 months ago! 

One person actually asked me not to keep my meat in their fridge, because they didn't want to look at it, slightly awkward moment. Like somehow pretending people didn't actually eat meat made them feel better. From that point on I was very aware of the smell coming from my sizzling bacon in coconut oil and filling the whole house. I'm sure it was enough to make them want to become very unethical all of a sudden. My mouth is watering just from typing the words sizzling, and bacon.


No comments:

Post a Comment